The Three S’s of Tattoo Removal
When performing a laser tattoo removal procedure, we look for three “S’s:
· SNOW: Also referred to as whitening or laser frosting. The Snow is a layer of tiny white gas bubbles that form over the ink during laser treatment. These gas bubbles prevent us from performing more than one treatment or “pass” at your appointment. (The Snow may not be visible after the 3rd or 4thtreatment.)
· SNAP: The snap is an audible sound made from the laser striking and absorbed by the ink. Snap will be present for every session.
· SWELLING: During your treatment, you will notice immediate redness and swelling in the treated area. Redness and swelling are normal and represent your immune system attacking the tiny ink particles for removal through the lymphatic system. Swelling will be present on every treatment.
The Describe PFD (perfluorodecalin) Patch Speeds up The Ink Removal Process.
The laser tattoo removal process typically involves a single treatment (pass) at each visit; the Snow limits the treatment to one pass. Therefore, the waiting time before the subsequent treatment is 6-8 weeks.
The DESCRIBE PFD Patch works quickly to eliminate that white, bubbly layer, making it possible to perform up to 4X as many passes per treatment session compared to traditional treatment without it.
The PFD patch also helps protect your skin from the heat of the laser, which may reduce the likelihood of skin damage. In addition, less injury can translate into a reduced time between treatment sessions.
What Exactly is the Describe PFD Patch?
The DESCRIBE Patch is a square of silicone infused with perfluorodecalin (PFD) – a completely inert, harmless liquid that allows your doctor to treat your tattoo several times with the laser in a single treatment session. Not only does the Patch allow up to 4X as many laser passes per visit compared to conventional treatment, but it also helps the laser reach ink particles deep within the skin, which may be particularly beneficial for older tattoos.
The cost of the Patch and the cost per session for laser tattoo removal can vary by provider. It’s important to remember that more laser passes per treatment session are possible using the Patch, which may offset any additional cost. The PFD patch is only suitable for one treatment session.
Why should I use the Describe PFD Patch?
There are several good reasons to use the Patch:
· The tattoo may clear more quickly with the Patch than without it.
· Because more laser passes are possible with the Patch, you may require fewer visits saving time and money
· The Patch absorbs laser energy that could otherwise damage your skin.
· Patients experience less pain, redness, and swelling after treatment with the Patch. In addition, less injury may mean you will be able to schedule your subsequent treatment sooner.
Does Using the PFD Patch Hurt?
The Patch doesn’t hurt, but laser tattoo removal can cause discomfort. Using the Patch, patients experience less discomfort during treatment and less redness and swelling afterward. This means an overall more comfortable experience for patients who opt to use the Patch.