Laser tattoo removal, like any other medical procedure, works best when it is properly prepared for. Here are some things you can do to get ready for your tattoo removal appointment.
- Wear comfortable clothing that will not rub against the tattoo on the day of your appointment. Wear looser-fitting pants (or sweatpants) and no belt if the tattoo is on your waistline. You don’t want to aggravate the area because it will be sensitive for a few days.
- Make sure the treated area is clean before your appointment. Shaving the tattooed area may be a good idea if it is very hairy in order to make the Medical Provider’s job easier.
- Confirm that you have no plans to go swimming, hot tubbing, or engage in any other activities in the days following your removal treatment. We recommend that you do not soak the treated area for three days after treatment to avoid infection.
- Keep nonstick bandages and ointment, such as Aquaphor or Neosporin, on hand. You’ll need to bandage your tattoo for three days, changing the bandage every day.
- We also recommend that you limit or stop smoking for up to four weeks prior to treatment if you smoke. Smoking reduces the flow of oxygen, which can cause the healing process to be delayed.
- It is critical to keep the tattoo out of direct sunlight for four weeks prior to treatment and to use SPF 30 or higher sunscreen. Sunburned skin can exacerbate pain and slow healing. Most importantly, do not expose yourself to direct sunlight for at least 48 hours before.
- Following your treatment, be sure to follow our aftercare instructions exactly as written. During their tattoo removal appointment, all of our patients will be given aftercare instructions.